As a girl that's spent the last year traveling and creating content for my coming book, it's always important to have a solid list of the the essential items to pack.
After a shoot the other day as I was dumping out my bag, I thought I should give you aspiring stylists out there an insiders look at what's in my traveling styling bag. I've created the "Styling Kit Essentials" list below to give you guys an insiders look!
In my former life I designed clothes and produced fashion events, and I'm still working as an editorial and personal stylist when I'm home from my travels. All of that has taught me how important it is that while traveling light, pack the essentials to be fully prepared to make quick adjustments when out on a photoshoot.
When I'm traveling and working on my book I'm the creative director and the stylist for shoots because our crew is super teeny tiny (it's me, the photographer and whatever beauty we're shooting)! And to be clear, there's plenty of times when it's appropriate to roll out the suitcase and the train case, but tell that to the girl that hiked across rivers (yes plural) four times if you count going across and back, on shoots out in the wild this year.
If you're interested in becoming a stylist's assistant, this is a great starter kit to get you going. (Show up on your first job with this, and you'll get a serious gold star).
- Scotch™ Essentials (love these, they're easy no-sew solutions that can help with any wardrobe needs!)
- Scotch™ Essentials Adjustable Hem Tape - fits the hemline to the shoe, you can move the hem down for heels or up for flats without having to stitch or pin. It won’t damage fabric, which is super important if you're pulling wardrobe from a designer!
- Scotch™ Essentials Permanent Hem Bonding Tape - instantly bonds fabric, especially good for preserving hemlines that may have become loose
- Scotch™ Essentials White Mark Eraser - removes icky white deodorant marks in seconds without water
- Scotch-Brite™ Lint Roller - keeps clothes lint, fuzz and hair free
- Scotch™ Essentials Wardrobe Tape Strips - hold garments in place - secure straps, necklines, blouse gaps, etc
- Sewing Scissors
- Hair Pins
- Mini Sewing Kit
- Rubber Bands
- Cotton Swabs
- Painters Tape (for soles of shoes)
- Safety Pins
- Binder Clips (for quick minor adjustments)
- Steamer (cordless if you're shooting outside)
- Black Marker
- Weekender Bag (to carry all your things)
If it's a big job with wardrobe changes and multiple models you may need to bring a rolling rack, hangers, garment bags and things to store the personal items. Always be prepared for whatever the specific shoot requires! Just about everything on my list is located in the Target closet section by sewing machines and kits.
This feature has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Scotch™ Essentials. All opinions are mine alone. #WardrobeSolutions #CollectiveBias